[sles-beta] SLES12 RC2 x86_64 Login possible even though autoyast init-script is still runing

Richard Brown rbrown at suse.de
Wed Aug 27 02:51:41 MDT 2014

On Tue, 2014-08-26 at 12:51 -0500, Gregory D. Rosenberg wrote:
> Good afternoon,
>
> Surely there is still the notion of dependancies. You obviously will run into many issues without dependancies. Sure it would be OK to start services in parallel that depend on the network service, but starting them ahead of time would like cause many to fail. Is there a mechanism to deal with this potential mayhem?

Yes, systemd has much more robust understanding of dependencies than
sysVinit

Each service can define what it "requires" (Hard dependencies, Service A
will not start without Service B, defined by adding "Requires=
$otherService" in the appropriate .service file) as well as what it
"wants" (Soft dependencies, Service A will still be able to start, but
will require Service B if its enabled)

Note, the above dependencies will normally start in parallel, which can
be surprisingly useful, but in those cases where a service A absolutely
must be started *after* service B, the additional parameter "After=
$serviceB" can be added to the .service file of service A, making sure
it will not start loading until service B is fully loaded (something
which systemd can actually be aware of thanks to how it encapsulates its
services in cgroups)