[sles-beta] SLES12 x86_64 RC2 mkfs.btrfs: WARNING! - Btrfs v3.14.2+20140704 IS EXPERIMENTAL

urs.frey at post.ch urs.frey at post.ch
Thu Sep 11 03:40:22 MDT 2014

Hi

>Correct, you shouldn't use mkfs.btrfs yourself directly but
>do this via YaST2 storage module. The reason is, that YaST2
>enables/disables the features in a way that a by us supported
>btrfs filesystem will be created. This is not always given if
>you call mkfs.btrfs directly.

Working with yast?
Sound weird, when I just want to create a FS on some SAN LUNs for specific use.
So in this case BtrFS with all its features seems is not to be yet mature enough, sorry

Background:
I would like to compare the use of BtrFS and XFS on LVM2 logical volumes in context resizing, defrag, balance.
So using yast for BtrFS just because of some for me not transparent automatisms this  is not really user friendly.

But good to know
Thanks a lot

Best regards

Urs Frey
Post CH AG
Informationstechnologie
IT Betrieb
Webergutstrasse 12
3030 Bern (Zollikofen)
Telefon : ++41 (0)58 338 58 70
FAX     : ++41 (0)58 667 30 07
> Something not really correct at this stage of SLES 12 RC2 x86_64
> When invoking mkfs.btrfs I get a warning:

Correct, you shouldn't use mkfs.btrfs yourself directly but
do this via YaST2 storage module. The reason is, that YaST2
enables/disables the features in a way that a by us supported
btrfs filesystem will be created. This is not always given if
you call mkfs.btrfs directly.
In this regard nothing has changed compared to SLES11 SP3.

  Thorsten