[sles-beta] SLES12 x86_64 RC2 mkfs.btrfs: WARNING! - Btrfs v3.14.2+20140704 IS EXPERIMENTAL

Matthias G. Eckermann mge at suse.com
Thu Sep 11 05:09:26 MDT 2014

Hello Urs and all,

On 2014-09-11 T 09:40 +0000 urs.frey at post.ch wrote:

> >Correct, you shouldn't use mkfs.btrfs yourself
> >directly but do this via YaST2 storage module. The
> >reason is, that YaST2 enables/disables the features
> >in a way that a by us supported btrfs filesystem
> >will be created. This is not always given if you
> >call mkfs.btrfs directly.
>
> Working with yast?  Sound weird, when I just want to
> create a FS on some SAN LUNs for specific use.  So in
> this case BtrFS with all its features seems is not to
> be yet mature enough, sorry

Thorsten is correct. We usually and for a long time say
and write that we only support creating disks/
partitions via YaST.

However, once a disk has been created, it certainly is
hard to distinguish, ... ;-)

> Background: I would like to compare the use of BtrFS
> and XFS on LVM2 logical volumes in context resizing,
> defrag, balance.  So using yast for BtrFS just
> because of some for me not transparent automatisms
> this is not really user friendly.

Agreed. The experienced user (and I rate everybody on
this list in that category; that's why you are here!)
certainly can create partitions manually, as long as
he follows the advice in the SUSE manuals regarding
defaults and options.

With respect to the bug report: you are right: the
"EXPERIMENTAL" message was supposed to have been
removed by SLES 12 Beta1. I wonder, why it came back:-(

Let me dig into that.

so long -
	MgE

--
Matthias G. Eckermann     Senior Product Manager   SUSE® Linux Enterprise
Phone: +49 30 44315731    Mobile: +49 179 2949448    E-Mail: mge at suse.com