[sles-beta] [Sleha-beta] [ANNOUNCE] SLE 12 is Gold

John Savanyo jsavanyo at vmware.com
Fri Oct 17 11:39:01 MDT 2014

The biggest issue with open-vm-tools is that SLES/SLED 12 dropped support
for GTK2 and only supports GTK3. Whereas open-vm-tools only supports GTK2
at the present time. So to include open-vm-tools in SLES/SLED, SUSE needed
to disable the desktop integration features, which will mostly be of
interest to users of VMware Fusion and Workstation products. Work around
for this is to uninstall open-vm-tools and install the VMware Tools that
are bundled with VMware Fusion and Workstation products using the perl
script installer. My understanding is that SLES/SLED 12 is targeted for
testing and support by Fusion 7.x/Workstation 11.x or later releases. But
this testing is not complete yet.

For vSphere ESXi users, we're recommending using open-vm-tools that are
distributed by SUSE. For server workloads, the desktop integration
features are generally not required or desired.

Best,
John