[sles-beta] Was SR 10884981671 - Now Gnome-shell CPU loop

Frederic Crozat fcrozat at suse.com
Tue Oct 21 05:08:38 MDT 2014

Le mardi 21 octobre 2014 à 10:39 +0000, Waite, Dick a écrit :
> Grand Morning,
>

> Running SLES-12-GMC2 on a VMware Workstation with VMware Tools… Looks
> good.
>

> Installed Adabas and ran some basic checks… Quite slow.
>

> Ran xosview and system monitor and see the grand Gnome-shell running
> at above 80% on all the cpus, not very friendly. I did write some
> words on this back on July 23rd , see below but at that time trying to
> get a working stable system was high up the food chain.
>

> Now the system looks stable, time to look at why Gnome-shell is so CPU
> hungry, or is that they way it always runs? As I have never used Gnome
> before I’m not sure what it’s normal way of life?
>

> I left it run over lunch and it’s still 70-80% CPU with no I/O or swap
> active. Question where do I look to find out why?

Since you are running in software rendering mode (in a VM), gnome-shell
will use some CPU (since it doesn't have access to openGL acceleration)
but taking 70 to 80% CPU constantly is not a normal behavior. Did you
wait a bit until the desktop "settled" before doing your measure ? How
did you do your measure ?

> My feeling in the water is “someone is looking to go home” to access
> SUSE to look for updates… To try this once a day or week is grand, so
> one try, but this is a hard loop.

If this was the case, you would see packagekitd in the CPU usage, not
gnome-shell.

--
Frederic Crozat
Project Manager Enterprise Desktop