[sles-beta] Was SR 10884981671 - Now Gnome-shell CPU loop

Frederic Crozat fcrozat at suse.com
Tue Oct 21 05:20:17 MDT 2014

Le mardi 21 octobre 2014 à 13:08 +0200, Frederic Crozat a écrit :
> Le mardi 21 octobre 2014 à 10:39 +0000, Waite, Dick a écrit :
> > Grand Morning,
> >

> > Running SLES-12-GMC2 on a VMware Workstation with VMware Tools… Looks
> > good.
> >

> > Installed Adabas and ran some basic checks… Quite slow.
> >

> > Ran xosview and system monitor and see the grand Gnome-shell running
> > at above 80% on all the cpus, not very friendly. I did write some
> > words on this back on July 23rd , see below but at that time trying to
> > get a working stable system was high up the food chain.
> >

> > Now the system looks stable, time to look at why Gnome-shell is so CPU
> > hungry, or is that they way it always runs? As I have never used Gnome
> > before I’m not sure what it’s normal way of life?
> >

> > I left it run over lunch and it’s still 70-80% CPU with no I/O or swap
> > active. Question where do I look to find out why?
>
> Since you are running in software rendering mode (in a VM), gnome-shell
> will use some CPU (since it doesn't have access to openGL acceleration)
> but taking 70 to 80% CPU constantly is not a normal behavior. Did you
> wait a bit until the desktop "settled" before doing your measure ? How
> did you do your measure ?

Sorry, I missed the screenshots in your initial mail.

It looks like you are running gnome-system-monitor inside the VM, so it
is expected to "consume" some CPU for rendering gnome-system-monitor
itself (since GNOME Shell is a compositing manager).

It might be interesting to monitor your VM from the outside, using top
over ssh, without additional graphical applications causing screen
updates.

--
Frederic Crozat
Project Manager Enterprise Desktop