[sles-beta] off: /etc/default vs. /etc/sysconfig

Czanik, Péter peter.czanik at balabit.com
Thu Aug 27 07:54:06 MDT 2015

Hi,

A slightly offtopic question, but I could not find anything about it in the
documentation. What is the difference between /etc/default and
/etc/sysconfig? Which to use in which situation? On a quick look my theory
is, that both define environment variables, those in /etc/sysconfig are
used by YaST and startscripts, those in /etc/default are the leftovers :-)

In other words, for a 3rd party software, which of these two directories
should be used?

Bye,

Peter Czanik (CzP) <peter.czanik at balabit.com>
BalaBit IT Security / syslog-ng upstream
http://czanik.blogs.balabit.com/
https://twitter.com/PCzanik