[sles-beta] network settings for SLES12 installation

Eugen Block eblock at nde.ag
Tue Nov 24 04:58:54 MST 2015

Hi all,

I have a question regarding the installation process of SLES12 since
SP0. I use virt-manager on a Xen host running on SLES11-SP3, but my
question also refers to installing xen-guests directly via config files.
If I wanted to avoid network setup via dhcp on SLES11 VMs I used the
"Additional Arguments" in virt-manager, in the xen-config file it is
the "extra" line, where I used to provide information like
"Netsetup=-dhcp,all Hostname=<HOSTNAME> Domain=<DOMAIN> Hostip=<IP>
Nameserver=<NAMESERVER> Gateway=<GW>".
If I use the same syntax with SLES12-SP0/SP1-RC2/SP1-RC3/SP1-GMC, I
always get into the linuxrc confirmation screen where all my entries
are preselected (see the attached screenshot), I just have to confirm
them. So somehow linuxrc knows what it is, but why do I have to
confirm it?
My colleage helped me and found a syntax where linuxrc doesn't ask for
this confirmation, but then the settings I have provided aren't stored
anywhere. So it is just a temporary network configuration to enable
PXE boot or to provide an autoyast file, is that correct? For
auto-installations this can be a little annoying, so I wanted to ask
you guys what's up with that. I'd appreciate any information.

Thanks,
Eugen

--
Eugen Block                             voice   : +49-40-559 51 75
NDE Netzdesign und -entwicklung AG      fax     : +49-40-559 51 77
D-22423 Hamburg                         e-mail  : eblock at nde.ag

         Vorsitzende des Aufsichtsrates: Angelika Mozdzen
           Sitz und Registergericht: Hamburg, HRB 90934
                   Vorstand: Jens-U. Mozdzen
                    USt-IdNr. DE 814 013 983