[sle-beta] Issues with get_user_pages and VMware

Waite, Dick (External) Dick.Waite at softwareag.com
Wed Aug 9 02:59:07 MDT 2017

Just a heads up...

SUSE has made a changes to the kernel api "get_user_pages". This is in LEAP 42.3, uname -r  4.4.76-1 and it causes VMware WS not to build.

I have SLES12 SP-3 GA at uname -r 4.4.74-92.32 and this runs VMware Okay ???
This came from a SLES12 SP-2 GA machine which did have zypper patch applied weekly. It was "updated" using the SLES12 SP-3 GA .iso file.

I also have a number of SLES12 SP-3 GA machines running uname -r 4.4.73.5 and again a zypper patch says no updates available. I have not tried to run VMware WS on these.

There are a numbers of blogs on this subject. If you do use VMware WS be very careful where you run it.

__R

Software AG – Sitz/Registered office: Uhlandstraße 12, 64297 Darmstadt, Germany – Registergericht/Commercial register: Darmstadt HRB 1562 - Vorstand/Management Board: Karl-Heinz Streibich (Vorsitzender/Chairman), Eric Duffaut, Dr. Wolfram Jost, Arnd Zinnhardt, Dr. Stefan Sigg; - Aufsichtsratsvorsitzender/Chairman of the Supervisory Board: Dr. Andreas Bereczky - http://www.softwareag.com