[sle-beta] SLES15 Beta 1 x86_64 observations

Thorsten Kukuk kukuk at suse.de
Thu Nov 2 06:14:54 MDT 2017

On Thu, Nov 02, Simon Flood wrote:

> Thanks, makes sense. However the above, plus the replacement of openLDAP
> with 389-DS, prompts me to ask why the changes?
>
> I can see from https://chrony.tuxfamily.org/comparison.html why changing to
> chrony makes sense but what about firewalld and 389-DS?

389-DS has more features and there are more and more tools requiring
389-DS and not working with openldap.

firewalld: sometimes you have to throw away very old code and replace
it with something newer, more maintainable. And SuSEfirewall2 is pretty
old and has design limitations hurting a lot today, which are not fixable
without a complete re-design. The world is continuing changing.

  Thorsten