[sle-beta] Anyone seeing issues with starting gnome-terminal?

Frederic Crozat fcrozat at suse.com
Tue Nov 21 09:24:15 MST 2017

Le lundi 20 novembre 2017 à 17:09 +0000, Mike Marion a écrit :
> On Mon, Nov 20, 2017 at 05:32:12PM +0100, Frederic Crozat wrote:
>

> > I'm not sure I fully understand your use-case.
> >
> > Are you trying to run gnome-terminal over ssh ?
>
> I was initially trying to run it in NX, but then yes, simply trying
> start one over ssh fails.  It's a VM without a GUI login locally, so
> I'm
> going to also test on bare metal to see if the same thing happens
> there
> when I get a chance.  Perhaps it's simply related to the fact that
> there
> isn't an X11/Xorg running on the console at this point.

I think it related to the fact GNOME Terminal (and many GNOME
applications) are designed to connect to a D-Bus session, which isn't
running if you are using ssh / NX or might be terminated at some point.

And to be honest, I fail to see the value of running xterm / gnome-
terminal over SSH: you'll get high latency. It might be better to run
your commands directly over ssh or use full desktop remote desktop
session, like VNC or RDP (which will better handle compression).

--
Frederic Crozat
Enterprise Desktop Release Manager