[sle-beta] Who is using SLP (Service Location Protocol)?

Richard Brown rbrown at suse.de
Wed Nov 22 05:29:59 MST 2017

On Wed, 2017-11-22 at 13:05 +0100, Thorsten Kukuk wrote:
> Hi,
>
> since we had a discussion currently about how reliable SLP is, I would
> like to take the chance and ask you as our Beta testers, who is using
> SLP in their network?
> And for what are you using it?
>
> For this who don't know what SLP is: Service Location Protocol
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Service_Location_Protocol
>
>   Thank you,
>     Thorsten

The only time I ever came across SLP in my former life as a sysadmin was as a result of Novell OES

It is/was (haven't looked at it in 4 years) used quite heavily there for service discovery for many of the
Novell services, especially eDirectory, where is it used to find the IP addresses of the servers in the
replica ring.

SLP issues would therefore cause eDirectory sync issues, which would have dramatic problems for basic
functionality such as authentication.
Tuning SLP to avoid this was a chore that had to be repeated as networks grew in size and complexity.

HTH

--
Richard Brown
Linux Distribution Engineer - Future Technology Team

Phone +4991174053-361
SUSE Linux GmbH,  Maxfeldstr. 5,  D-90409 Nuernberg
HRB 21284 (AG Nürnberg)