[sle-beta] Who is using SLP (Service Location Protocol)?

Joe Doupnik jrd at netlab1.net
Wed Nov 22 06:17:30 MST 2017

On 22/11/2017 12:05, Thorsten Kukuk wrote:
> Hi,
>
> since we had a discussion currently about how reliable SLP is, I would
> like to take the chance and ask you as our Beta testers, who is using
> SLP in their network?
> And for what are you using it?
>
> For this who don't know what SLP is: Service Location Protocol
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Service_Location_Protocol
>
>    Thank you,
>      Thorsten
---------------
     My systems use it, for the same reason as given by Richard: to
support eDirectory and such on OES systems.
     A long time ago one of my grad students did her MS on improving SLP
by using DNS as a better pointer mechanism. Alas, the powers that be
decided to stick with the awkward approach which we still have today.
It's too bad that Google did not chime in with "we know where things
hide, just ask the search box."
     So, it is a required mechanism on the machines which I oversee, not
to mention others also emanating from Provo.
     Thanks,
     Joe D.