[sle-beta] SLES15 beta 6, initial observation

Joe Doupnik jrd at netlab1.net
Mon Feb 5 02:08:37 MST 2018

On 04/02/2018 23:07, Thorsten Kukuk wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 04, Joe Doupnik wrote:
>
>>      The second test was with one CD, as just mentioned. The peculiar item
>> observed thus far was when partitioning. I said please redo the layout with
>> the offered existing partitions, I removed all shown for the only drive, and
>> I created my usual three of BOOT (/boot, EXT2, 128MB), SWAP (swap, 512MB),
>> and ROOT (/, 6.xGB).
> No idea why people still use this extra /boot partition. This has not
> a single advantage, but a lot of disadvantages.
> Nobody would come to the idea to put /lib64 with libc and everything
> on an extra partition, so why divide the kernel or bootloader in two
> parts and put them on two different partitions? This only makes trouble
> and was only necessary in the past for broken BIOS versions. But that
> problem should have gone long ago.
>
>    Thorsten

-------------
     To clarify matters for Thorsten and other readers. A while ago I
covered similar territory.
     The /boot story as I relate it goes like this. With earlier SLES
editions I created a two partition scheme, root (/, XFS) and swap. That
worked until a kernel upgrade was installed and then the system would
not boot. I infer the reason was the new initrd did not have the XFS
intelligence. Additionally, if that root had outstanding journal entries
at boot time then grub would be unable to perform them because root was
mounted read-only at that moment. Consequently the system may not boot.
     These aspects are not BIOS related, yet reaching a bootable
partition can be BIOS dependent which is why a bootable partition should
be created before other large partitions.
     However, if I create a boot partition, type EXT2 (no journal, no
XFS), followed by swap and root (XFS) partitions then all is well
through patches and major upgrades. My surmise is composition of a
workable initrd and relatives is the key factor, with their
understanding of XFS being an important thread.
     That's been my experience. Details today may have changed and to
know would take a bunch of validation experiments. I know this can seem
to be a reactionary view, but setting aside BTRFS the problem has been
real enough for a long time and is easily avoided by having the /boot
partition. Further, using a /boot partition ought not clobber a new SLES
and certainly should not be a notable disadvantage.

     For SLES 15 beta 6, there is that new /boot popup complaint message
to learn about. My memory says there could have been two disks, sda and
sdb, shown in the partition menu, even though only one hard disk was
created for the ESXi virtual machine, and the sdb one had a boot
reference. That's my vague memory. At this moment I have restarted that
test virtual machine after removing the second CD drive. It did not
boot, saying no o/s, but I could enter Rescue mode. After poking about
the boot partition (sda1) I did not find a menu.lst file which is
normally present for SLES11 and prior. I am about to remove that virtual
machine and rebuild with only one CD drive. In any case, the double CD
drive presence during installation has led to trouble in beta 6, plus
that new /boot popup message.
     Thanks,
     Joe D.