[sle-beta] SLES15 beta 6, initial observation

Thorsten Kukuk kukuk at suse.de
Sun Feb 4 16:07:59 MST 2018

On Sun, Feb 04, Joe Doupnik wrote:

>     The second test was with one CD, as just mentioned. The peculiar item
> observed thus far was when partitioning. I said please redo the layout with
> the offered existing partitions, I removed all shown for the only drive, and
> I created my usual three of BOOT (/boot, EXT2, 128MB), SWAP (swap, 512MB),
> and ROOT (/, 6.xGB).

No idea why people still use this extra /boot partition. This has not
a single advantage, but a lot of disadvantages.
Nobody would come to the idea to put /lib64 with libc and everything
on an extra partition, so why divide the kernel or bootloader in two
parts and put them on two different partitions? This only makes trouble
and was only necessary in the past for broken BIOS versions. But that
problem should have gone long ago.

  Thorsten