[sle-beta] UPDATE with RC4

Waite, Dick (External) Dick.Waite at softwareag.com
Sun May 6 12:23:38 MDT 2018

Still a Sunny Evening...

attached the screen shot I see after the install, and when I try a ipl from the VMware console. I do have open-vm-tools installed, I do not use the packages but the on-line update, I added desktop applications"

This screen will "flash" for about 3-5 mins then it's steady. With ctl+alt+fn one can, sometimes get a text prompt from the virtual machine, but very often it's the a prompt from the host.

From the text prompt one can issue "zypper info open-vm-toos" and now they are there, a "zypper ve" also says all is well.

A "startx" can bring you a gui, sometimes...

A shutdown -h now will start the shutdown but it stops at the screen with the four blobs that flash in sequence and stays there for ever, one has to use the "power off" from the vmware tab of the machine to close down.

This is VMware Workstation 14.1.1

I do not see this with SLES12, LEAP 42 or LEAP 15

Willing to try again tomorrow if you have new thoughts. All our QA/QE test machines run on x86_64 with VMware... Most started life in SLES10, most are ext3 and some XFS. Btrfs and snapper are not used.

I have been working on getting an UPDATE to work, RC3 looked Okay and RC4 does UPDATE Okay, but after the 1st IPL I see the attached screenshot.

Many Thanks for your input.

__R