[sles-beta] few things to note after my first install

Joe Doupnik jrd at netlab1.oucs.ox.ac.uk
Thu Feb 21 10:12:14 MST 2013

On 21/02/2013 16:52, David Boyes wrote:
>> both.
>>> If so, that's a bug. A != B.
>> Depends on how you define A and B.
>> In this case, A = B is correct.
> I would disagree.
>
> A = No update repositories configured (there are no repositories)
> B = No updates available (the repositories are configured but are empty)
>
> The server error code for A and B should not be the same, as they are not the same issue (and B is not necessarily an error).
>
> ==db
>
> PS: Given that you're getting a lot of testing work here (for free, no less), do you think you might consider toning down the sarcasm/attitude a bit? It's not doing you any favors, and is definitely not calculated to build a good path to Win Friends and Influence People.

-----------
     As most of us know, it would be unusual for updates of beta work to
appear in the NCC channels. Even when we want to check those channels
before product release they are almost never ready for that. However, it
would be a good thing if a secure channel were present to do quick
updates as a product progresses, versus doing an entire reinstall every
week or two. The awkward part would be ensuring the channels actually
work with our SMT installations (meaning updates appear under the
correct account for that).
     On the tone of things, I rather enjoy what we have now, direct but
still polite. We make progress more quickly that way.
     Joe D.