[sles-beta] Kernel Update SP2 > SP3

Marcus Meissner meissner at suse.de
Fri Jul 5 07:46:47 MDT 2013

On Fri, Jul 05, 2013 at 02:40:51PM +0200, Decker Maximilian wrote:
> hm what about adding some sort of SP offset to the minor version ?
> wouldn't that be an easy way to solve this "lower version number" issue, even if the base version is the same ?
>
> So let's say all SP2 kernels are 3.0.x-2yyy and for SP3 that would be 3.0.x-3yyy.
> This way the SP3 kernels would always be ahead of the SP2 kernels as far as RPM/zypper is concerned.
>
> just a thought.

If the RPM version is stable, this would work and we have mechanisms in place
for exactly this case.

The RPM version is however not stable, as we are tracking the 3.0.x stable series,
where "x" follows the upstream stable version.

This will be a non issue as soon as we have released the first SLES 11 SP3 kernel
update, as we will be taking care internally not to let this imbalance happen
in the 6 concurrent maintenance months.

Ciao, Marcus