[sles-beta] Getting KDE running

Waite, Dick Dick.Waite at softwareag.com
Thu Feb 27 05:00:03 MST 2014

Grand Day,

        Migration / Upgrade  from SLE 11-3 to 12 - If the SLE 11-3 machine is happily running a KDE enviroment from what I have seen there is no Upgrade posable from 11-3 to 12

        Just like editor's if you have used a Desktop for 10 years and it works for you, and the desktop is still actively supported you like to stay with it. Ask the Window XP people or even Window 7. For a KDE person to go to GNOME it's a new life style and one has to ask why. GNOME is owned by Novell is that a good reason? Will KDE be dropped by openSUSE too?

        One can see a number of KDE libraries on disk after an install but after installing and setting the bits in /etc/sysconfig etc one, or this one, does not get a happy happy KDE desktop and it the sprit of Linux, it's a KDE desktop I want. When a Distro starts dictating what editor or Virtualization or development / scripting language I *have* to use, then it's time to find a new Distro. If KDE can be dropped so maybe next it's ksh or tcsh as they are not quite mainstream. If there was little support or activity in the KDE area, maybe one can understand the business reasons, but I think KDE is quite active, has been since 1996 I think (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KDE). I 100% agree SUSE can say it's not supported, that's business but I do think they should have a working KDE enviroment available on their Distro.

        If I'm way out on left field, then I'll drop the subject and get my kubuntu fired up again, but I do think there are other KDE people out there.

        Should a "server" have all Desktop's maybe not, but SUSE has a "Common Code Base" so if SLED has KDE then why not SLES too. Question does SLED support KDE?

__R
Dick Waite
Senior R&D Consultant
Phone:  +49 6151 92-1505
Mobile: +49 171 8393 769
Software AG
Uhlandstr. 12 | 64297 Darmstadt | Germany
www.softwareag.com