[sles-beta] FTP

Lars Marowsky-Bree lmb at suse.com
Sat Mar 8 04:38:29 MST 2014

On 2014-03-08T10:37:42, Joe Doupnik <jrd at netlab1.net> wrote:

>     The lftp discussion is not about defending lukemftp as such but about
> supporting a proper ftp client. The systemd dominance fiasco (my opinion)
> involves the same difficulty: choices ought to focus on the end results as
> seen by the paying customers.

Part of our job for a release like SLE 12 that'll be supporting for more
than a decade is to make choices that are viable for this lifecycle. And
that also implies a need to make anticipatory changes now, instead of 5
years down the road.

systemd, for example, is clearly superior to initd. I was very sceptic
initially and didn't see the point until I started both working with it
from a user and admin perspective, and then also developing and
migrating services. And began to see how well-thought out it was, and
that the initial pains from years ago are now solved neatly.

The same is true for lftp. I know, change means a need to learn new
things and, well, change stuff. But we believe it's for the better. Even
though I wasn't involved in this particular client decision, I've made
calls like that for SLE HA as well.

I also hope that we'll grow an enterprise build service community over
time where additions that the community contributes can be shared over
time, but with the understanding that this is different from SLE core.

Regards,
    Lars

--
Architect Storage/HA