[sles-beta] Changing lan adapter names, get stuck rebooting

Joe Doupnik jrd at netlab1.net
Wed Mar 19 11:37:31 MDT 2014

     Likely probably many other people, I have no use for the current
opaquely generated lan adapter names. There is no obvious tie to the
hardware such as MAC address, in a readily visible fashion. Thus I used
YaST (text mode) to modify the name to eth0. Yes, it can be done. The
result was a conventional (at last) 70-persistent-net.rules item in
/etc/udev/rules.d. My IPtables filter thanked me for that.
     However, there is a dark side. Restarting the machine from power
off causes the boot process to get stuck in a wait loop for wicked,
saying "A start job is running for wicked managed network".
     Seven and a half minutes later... the system went beyond that point
and finished booting.
     There is no wireless or similar arrangement here. No Network
Manager. Just one Ethernet adapter in this ESXi virtual machine.

     Problem two is to re-ask a question. Where are the systemd lan
adapter names defined? Those ems32 style things. I have not been able to
locate them. If found then perhaps reason could be brought to bear to
return to usable eth0 etc. Having ifcfg-eth0 with real values would be a
definite plus. The points at hand are clarity, easily located
configurations, flexibility in operations, but so far in my learning
process the systemd approach lacks each of these.
     Thanks,
     Joe D.