[sles-beta] KDE Desktop not available?

Waite, Dick Dick.Waite at softwareag.com
Thu Apr 24 03:27:17 MDT 2014

Hi Thorsten,

        No I'm talking about x86_64, we have issues with s390x but that's in a new install, we have only tried one Update and that did not get too far. We have in the past waited until x86_64 Updates clean before switching to s390x. So just new installs on s390x.

        Why we update production machines is because all the real "beef" we use is working well with the current GA. So we clone the production to its new enviroment and then run Update on the clone. We want to make sure all our "stuff" is working with all your new "stuff". The "original" production runs on your current GA until the new version checks out with our QE tests.

        Can you try a simple SLE 11-SP3 machine; KDE and one Ethernet connection, running in say VMware Workstation v10.  This for us gets one burp in the Upgrade pass of:

[ Internal Error: Details:undefined method '+' for nil:NilClass Caller: /mount/mp_0001/usr/share/Yast2/modules/Kdump.rb.510:in "BuildCrashKernelValue" ]

        As you say, keep going and then the system re-boot's into the new enviroment. Here one can get a GRUB issue and you stop quickly, or you get to the issue attached. This is all in Service Request: 10884981671

        I would 100% agree it's got better, but until I can get my working "cloned" production machines onto the v12-SP0 beta I'm a bit stuck. I can run new compiles and builds etc, which we do and other good stuff but both your company and mine want to give a "stamp" that current GA machine will works seamlessly on SLE 12 SP-0. When that's working then one can enjoy all the new features of SLE 12

Dick Waite
Senior R&D Consultant
Phone:  +49 6151 92-1505
Mobile: +49 171 8393 769
Software AG
Uhlandstr. 12 | 64297 Darmstadt | Germany
www.softwareag.com