[sles-beta] Issues on Beta4

Klaus Gmeinwieser Klaus.Gmeinwieser at oce.com
Tue Apr 29 09:22:39 MDT 2014

Hello Johannes,

thanks for your quick answer. I see I need to go in more detail.

@ALL: this is not intended to annoy the list, but an important question
to me. If this should be off topic -> please tell me

The coexistence with SLES standard software is not the problem at all.
As we install a production printing suite on the SLES it is required
from our side, that any misconfiguration is prevented on best effort
(what is not installed cannot be started or used accidentally).

Having both software packages installed is just one part of the conflict
(a started cups server will block the TCP/IP ports for our software as
first problem). As we are shipping to customers worldwide, the existence
of the cups software (especially the server) will conflict with our
policies not to use the SLES for any other purpose. This is also true
for the apache server not to be allowed on our installations for use of
ports 80/443.

We had several severe issues on (so called) "experts" using/trying
cups/apache in parallel with our software (not going into details).
This is also an issue of better supportability for our service people.

In my opinion, the best way is not to install any unwanted service or to
be urged to do so. As an example I would point to the rsh/rexec which is
also not installed (I know for security) or the apache server - if I
want to use it I have to install it. I cannot see the difference between
a print server being a fixed part of the SLES and any other service
being not? (Anyway I cannot see any requirement for cups server on an
enterprise machine except a print server)

Please advise what we can do...

Thanks in advance & Rgds
Klaus

--
Klaus Gmeinwieser
T +49 (0)8121 72 4358 F +49 (0)8121 72 3173

Océ Printing Systems GmbH & Co. KG • A Canon Group Company
P.O. Box 1260 • 85581 Poing
Siemensallee 2 • 85586 Poing • Germany

Océ enables its customers to manage their documents efficiently and
effectively by offering
innovative print and document management products and services for
professional
environments.

Océ Printing Systems GmbH & Co. KG
The company is a limited partnership with its registered office in Poing
– Trade Register HRA 100955 (Amtsgericht München) – WEEE-Reg.-No. DE 888
05 443

General Partner: Océ Printing Systems Geschäftsführungsgesellschaft mbH
Registered Office: Poing – Trade Register HRB 206480 (Amtsgericht München)
Executive Officer: André Mittelsteiner, Hans Manzer
This message and attachment(s) are intended solely for use by the addressee and may contain information that is privileged, confidential or otherwise exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient or agent thereof responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately by telephone and with a 'reply' message. Thank you for your co-operation.