[sles-beta] Beta 7 - Manual Interaction

Richard Brown rbrown at suse.de
Sat May 24 05:58:51 MDT 2014

On 2014-05-24 08:45, Waite, Dick wrote:
> Grand New Damp Day in Darmstadt,
>
> Known issues (selection):
>  (several)  - upgrading from SLE 11 SP3 is not working flawlessly,
> requiring manual interaction;
>
> Downloading now, but we have all seen there are issues running the
> "upgrade". Would a A4 page of notes from your good developers / QE
> staff giving us a little "cheat sheet" on what and when the manual
> interactions are required. They have managed to get an upgrade to
> work, so why not give us some of the bits and bobs they have had to do
> to achieve and good upgrade. Without that info each of us is going to
> fall into the same hole, say some words we should not and work out our
> own work-a-round. Some might even send some words back to the grand
> list, some might not.
>
> Give us the benefits of your own experiences please so we all don't
> fall into the same holes.
>
> Wishing you all a grand day with Beta7
>
> __R

Good Day,

My colleagues and I test many different permutations of upgrades,
starting with different versions, filesystems, package selections, and
then upgrading. From what I can tell, it seems to me that it is specific
combinations that are presenting issues, but I cant easily find which
ones have what issues to share with you.

Speaking from my own experience, here's how my upgrade test using Beta 7
went - I primarily test the HA Extension and therefore test the upgrade
of both SLES and HA at the same time

* Starting with two servers running SLES 11 SP3, installed on ext3 with
the Minimal & Base software patterns, as well as the HA Extension with
the High Availability pattern.
* Both have configured iSCSI initiators talking to a iSCSI LIO Target
* Servers are configured in a simple 2 Node HA Cluster, with a SBD
STONITH resource and the resources required for a shared ocfs2 volume,
the storage for both provided by the iSCSI configuration.
* Upgraded started from the SLE 12 Server Beta 7 ISO
* Configured Network
* Skipped SCC Registration on one server, registered on the other.
(Wanted to test whether that caused differences in upgrade - it did not)
* Added SLE 12 HA Extension Beta 7 as an Add-On product from a Network
Installation server on one server, as an ISO on the other (Wanted to
test whether that caused differences in upgrade - it did not)
* Reviewed upgrade proposal on the 'Installation Summary' page, looked
sane, so proceeded
* Upgrade completed without any reported issue, both systems booted into
SLES 12 + HA 12 Beta 7
* Tests on the 'Base System' (SLES 12) all passed, even some expected
issues such as the iSCSI device names changing (old names were still
present for compatibility)
* Tests on HA weren't as successful - it looks like the
/etc/corosync/corosync.conf file needs manual interaction to upgrade it
to SLE 12's expected structure and parameters
  - "aisexec" section of the configuration file is obsolete and needs to
be removed
  - "quorum" section of the configuration file required in SLE 12 is
missing and needs to be added manually
  - "cluster_name" parameter in the totem section of the configuration
file is missing and needs to be added manually
* OCFS2 also requires some manual interaction to upgrade the filesystem
before ocfs2 can be mounted (This was expected, and should be documented
for SLE 12 HA upgrades)
  - tune.ocfs2 --update-cluster-stack

I expect we might also find a few other manual steps for upgrading SLE
11 SP3 HA clusters to SLE 12, but that is the story so far.

So from my perspective, a basic SLES 11 to SLES 12 upgrade works fine,
I'd recommend that you go ahead and try it yourself, along with any
local procedures you regularly follow during upgrades. It will help us
get a better picture of the current state of upgrades, and if you do run
into issues that we've already found, we should be in a position to help
with everything we've found once you report them.

   Richard Brown, QA Engineer
   Phone +4991174053-361,  Fax +4991174053-483
   SUSE LINUX Products GmbH,  Maxfeldstr. 5,  D-90409 Nuernberg
   Geschaeftsfuehrer: Jeff Hawn, Jennifer Guild, Felix Imendoerffer,
   HRB 16746 (AG Nuernberg)