[sles-beta] ISCSI issues with SLES12B7 - part2 ( ISCSI 'initiator' driver)

Bjoern Lotz bjoern.lotz at suse.com
Wed May 28 03:32:06 MDT 2014

On 28.05.2014 10:15, Richard Brown wrote:
> Hi Darren,
>
> In SLE 12 we have only the iSCSI LIO Target and not the ietd iSCSI
> Target also available in previous versions
>
> One of the new features of the LIO Target is that it supports
> proper LUN mapping - the ability to decide which LUNs are presented
> to which Clients/Initiators as which LUN numbers
>
> This *requires* you to fill in the LUN mapping section of the iSCSI
> LIO Target in YaST on your target - it pops up after you configure
> a target, but if you're not aware of why it's so important, I
> understand you might just click next and leave the Initiator/LUN
> mapping table blank (I did the same first time round..)
>
> Failure to do this, results in the behaviour you're noticing.
>
> You'll need the 'initiator name' for each iSCSI initiator
> connecting to your target, that can be found in
> /etc/iscsi/initiatorname on each of your initiators.
>
> Hope this helps,

I had similar problems as Darren, but I finally managed to connect the
Initiator on Beta7 to a target on Beta7, without authentication.

However, when I turn on authentication I get the following log entries
on the target server:

2014-05-28T11:17:52.376035+02:00 linux-co7n kernel: [  650.374639]
Initiator is requesting CSG: 1, has not been successfully
authenticated, and the Target is enforcing iSCSI Authentication, login
failed.

2014-05-28T11:17:52.376056+02:00 linux-co7n kernel: [  650.374652]
iSCSI Login negotiation failed.

As I wasn't sure if this is because I mismatched outgoing and incoming
on target and initiator, I simply used the same username and password
on all - but the result is above.

Any suggestions are welcome, or is this considered a bug I should report?

Kind regards,

Björn

- --
Dr. Björn Lotz, Instructional Designer, CISSP
SUSE Linux GmbH, Maxfeldstrasse 5, 90409 Nürnberg
Tel: +49 89 8639 9664  Mobil: +49 173 5876724
bjoern.lotz at suse.com       PGP-ID: 0xD437D363
SUSE Linux GmbH, Nürnberg; HRB 21284 (AG Nürnberg)
GF: Jeff Hawn, Jennifer Guild, Felix Imendörffer