[sles-beta] Discussion point,

Matthias G. Eckermann mge at suse.com
Wed Jun 18 01:09:42 MDT 2014

Hello Darren and all,

On 2014-06-18 T 17:01 +1000 Darren Thompson wrote:

> A very simple use case is using this in conjunction
> with containers such that a "stateless" template is
> used to provision other containers which actually
> provide applications. e.g. a "factory reset"
> container is initially run-up and then "statefull"
> changes are made to the container after that.
>
> e.g. rather than running apache on the server OS
> itself, a container is provisioned, which runs
> apache/web sites etc. In that way a "cleaner" host OS
> is maintained and greater isolation between the
> "required" OS and the "provided" application is
> possible.

isn't this a use case you can implement already today
on SUSE Linux Enterprise 11 (SP2+) with LXC containers
(probably using btrfs + snapshots)?

In the next SUSE Linux Enterprise 12 beta you'll also
see that we add Docker as a TechPreview - even more
working into the direction you are thinking.

=> No need to wait for systemd to implement this:-)

so long -
	MgE

--
Matthias G. Eckermann     Senior Product Manager   SUSE® Linux Enterprise
Phone: +49 30 44315731    Mobile: +49 179 2949448    E-Mail: mge at suse.com